Hey folks! Sorry that this has taken so long to post. I've had a pretty hectic month of May (as I'm sure that most have). The last two weeks have been extra-special hectic because I broke my 4th finger on my right (dominant) hand and ended up needing surgery...a plate and 6 screws. Awesome! So it's taken me a little bit to get back in the swing of things with writing and typing. This next activity is a staple among my staff. When we have multiple team building blocks happening at once - this is one that is most often fought for. It's very simple but for obvious reasons - needs a physical apparatus to do. But it's value as part of a permanent program is very high Check it out! The Whale Watch Type of Initiative: Initiative Group Size: 5-15 people Equipment: The Whale Watch platform (or a balance deck) Objective: To balance the deck off the ground from the first person on to the last person. Playing the Game: Because of safety co...
Or at least that's how I spell it. This activity could be spelled "Pruie" or "Pruey" or however you would like to. It's one of the best activities that I came away with from the AEE International Conference this last October. It was presented by Chris Ortiz from High 5 Adventure. If you go to the right slide-out sidebar and hover your mouse over [check them out] and you'll find High 5 Adventure there along with some other pretty awesome links. I did this activity in a group of about 80 so if you do this in a small group like 12, your experience will be very different than mine. I'll give an update to it when I've done it with some smaller groups. Activity Prep: NONE! Isn't that great? I love no prop activities because it means that you can pull it out of your back pocket if you are seeing a way for it to fit into your programming. Setting up the Field of Play This is a bit of a big one. In this activity, your participants w...
The New Year has come around and with it comes planning and resolutions and more things to fill your time with. The activity Patterns is a perfect activity to use when you're looking at skills like multi-tasking and communication when there are similar yet very independent tasks to accomplish. Patterns is great for a couple reasons. It's progressive - the group can create and become proficient at their own pace. They are also making all of the decisions during the activity which makes the task different from others in that as the facilitator - you do not possess the answer or the key to solving it. This activity goes as fluidly as the group is focused. The Chucking pattern is always simple, especially if the group can create ways of helping each other remember the pattern. It normally only takes two to three rounds of practice before the group is performing it perfectly. The Calling pattern comes across as a little more complex. There's little reason for it to be but most...
Comments